ayeshamartin52

Rather Be Reading

I'm better at writing than talking, and better at reading than either.

Moon Called - Patricia Briggs Meh. I tend to avoid novels that feature magic chicks who get involved in supernatural politics. But this was on a list of novels with POC main characters, so I gave it a chance.

I was pretty damn disappointed. The main character, Mercy, is one half American Indian, but because her father died before she was born, she has no connection to that part of her heritage. Fine, I can accept that, it's totally beliveable. But, when Mercy mentions that she lives next-door to a Fae reservation , I immediately expected her to draw parallels that seem pretty damn obvious. Nope, not once, not even a little bit. This was a perfect opportunity to make a POC character "real" by giving her the history of her heritage, not just the long straight hair and tanned skin of stereotypes. My disappointment colored my feelings for the rest of the novel.

It wasn't a bad read. I don't feel like I wasted the last 4 days of my life, but I also don't feel like it's been much improved. There are tons of novels featuring magical chicks who get themselves caught up in supernatural politics. This one isn't any different.